The quest for beautiful skin is something we as women can relate to all too well. I mean there is a billion dollar industry built around it. One thing is for sure, as my mamma taught me at a young age, regardless of your skin type, it is important to have a regular skin care routine to ensure that your skin is your best accessory.
It starts absolutely with a regular cleansing routine and avoiding the deadly sin of skin care- never, ever go to bed with your make-up on. Luckily recent years have seen the introduction of a selection of ready to use make up remover wipes so seriously ladies, if you do just that, that’s enough, as long as it isn’t every night!
It’s worth taking the time to look after your skin. After all, you live in it every day. Here are our top 5 tips for basic skin care:
- Don’t scrub the hell out of your face.Your skin doesn’t need to be scrubbed squeaky clean. Don’t overdo it. If possible choose, mild cleansers. There is such a fantastic range or New Zealand made botanics and organics to choose from. We are big fans of the range from Evolu. On their blog you can get some suggestions of which products would suit you depending on your skin type.
- Who has time or money for that matter, for a collection of moisturisers, sunscreens and creams? Try and choose a multi-tasking moisturizer, perfect for the multi-tasking woman! Invest in a quality daily moisturizer that has sunscreen, minimum factor 15 in the winter and factor 30 in the summer. Yes, the New Zealand sun is just too darn severe not to.
- Be kind to your lips. You need them to enjoy your wine! Use a lip balm at least once a week, to help keep them moist and supple. We absolutely cannot live without Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream. It is genuinely one of the best things ever for your lips. In fact, for your hands also as a great overnight treatment. It’s pricey, but a little goes a long way. It has so many uses.
- The skin under your eyes is very delicate, which means it’s the first place to highlight a hangover and lack of sleep or poor nutrition for that matter also. Dark circles tend to be hereditary but are made much worse by lack of sleep. If you want a quick fix, you should check out Puff Off from Benefit Cosmetics. It genuinely helps with puffy eyes and dark circles. TOP TIP: Help to reduce the puffy look with one of the following: cucumber slices, cold teabags or ice wrapped in a flannel.
- And finally, drink lots and lots of water. Water cleanses the body and eliminates toxins and waste. It hydrates the body and removes excess oils and dirt. 15% of our skin is made up of water. What’s even better, it’s free! This is even more important if you drink wine, because it is easy to become dehydrated. If you want your skin to glow, then we recommend, one wine, one water and always a few glasses of water before you head to bed.
Have you got any great skin care tips that you swear by? We’d love you to share them below. Tried and tested are always the best!