Introducing Kung Pao Chicken – a flavoursome and vibrant dish that will surely delight your taste buds! This classic Chinese recipe brings together tender pieces of chicken, crunchy peanuts, and a medley of colourful vegetables, all tossed in a savoury and slightly spicy sauce. But what truly enhances this culinary experience is the perfect wine pairing. Enter our Pinot Gris, a delightful choice to complement the flavours of this dish.
Pinot Gris offers a crisp and refreshing character that harmonises beautifully with the bold and complex flavours of Kung Pao Chicken. Its fruity and floral notes provide a pleasant contrast to the spiciness of the dish, while its balanced acidity helps cleanse the palate between each flavourful bite.
The subtle sweetness of Pinot Gris mirrors the hint of sweetness found in the Kung Pao sauce, creating a harmonious combination. Additionally, the wine’s light-bodied nature allows it to complement rather than overpower the dish, allowing the individual ingredients to shine.
So, whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply enjoying a cosy evening at home, the pairing of Kung Pao Chicken with a glass of chilled Pinot Gris is a winning combination that is sure to impress.
• 500 grams boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 100 grams unsalted peanuts
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 green pepper, diced
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon cornflour
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns, crushed (optional, for added heat)
• Salt, to taste
• Fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, cornflour, sugar, and crushed Szechuan peppercorns (if using). Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and stir-fry until they are cooked through and no longer pink in the centre.
- Add the diced peppers and onion to the pan and stir-fry for an additional 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables in the pan. Stir well to coat everything evenly. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the unsalted peanuts to the pan and stir to combine with the chicken and vegetables.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt if needed.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve the Kung Pao Chicken over steamed rice or noodles.
This classic Chinese dish offers a perfect balance of savoury, spicy, and slightly sweet flavours and goes perfectly with The Sisters’ Pinot Gris. Enjoy your homemade Kung Pao Chicken!