Halloumi/həˈluːmi/ or hellim is a Cypriot semi-hard, unripened brined cheese made from a mixture of goat’s and sheep’s milk, and sometimes also cow’s milk. It has a high melting point and so can easily be fried or grilled. The cheese is white, with a distinctive layered texture, similar to mozzarella and has a salty flavour.
It is loved for its robust texture and deeply savoury flavour – plus its capacity to be grilled, barbecued or fried without losing its shape. It’s very versatile and make a tasty light meal, perfect for hot summer evenings.
Kate, the creative genius and founder of bespoke label Elka Knitwear is also a foodlover and talented cook. I guess that’s the way with truly creative people, they can make most things a work of art. She is a fan of our The Sisters Rosé and especially for you has created a special summer salad. It combines halloumi, zucchini and broad beans and is dressed with a fabulous Rosé vinaigrette. Halloumi cheese should be available at your local supermarket.
This salad is easy to put together and tastes wonderful. Most of the elements can be prepared in advance, so you can pull it together quickly. It is ideal for when a girlfriend pops in for an impromptu lunch. Serve it with a nicely chilled Rosé and it’s just perfect!
Ingredients: (use equal parts of the following)
- The Sisters Róse
- Fresh lemon juice
- Good quality olive oil
- Salt and white pepper
- Mix well. Can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge.
- Green fancy salad leaves – anything you have on hand.
- Precooked and peeled broad beans
- Grilled halloumi cheese
- Grilled zucchini
- Avocado or olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Avocado – sliced
- Spring onions – sliced diagonally
- Slice zucchini the long way
- Mix with avocado oil, crushed garlic, salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Grill on the bbq. Set aside.
- Slice halloumi and grill or fry on both sides. Set aside.
- Arrange salad leaves on a platter.
- Place broad beans, zucchini, avocado and halloumi on top and garnish with green onions.
- Serve with Róse vinaigrette dressing on side.
Kate is the founder and creative director of Elka Knitwear. Elka offers bespoke and limited edition hand-crafted and machine manufactured knitwear pieces that utilize only the finest materials All New Zealand made.
Elka is a label that truly epitomises ‘quality not quantity.’ For those who dare to be original, Elka garments spark conversation, solicit adulation and will be treasured for many years to come. If you want to learn more about Elka or purchase one of Kate’s stunning garments, then we invite you to visit their online store.